Thursday 17 November 2016

I gave Dele Alli away at 13 to save him from gangs


I gave Dele Alli away at 13 to save
him from gangs and allow him to
follow his football dream
EXCLUSIVE: Mother talks about the truth behind the
England ace’s rise and her heartache at letting him
go


ENGLAND star Dele Alli’s mum has spoken about the
heartbreaking moment she
gave her son away so he could fulfil his dream of
becoming a top footballer.
Denise Alli, 52, was battling against alcoholism and
faced having her children
removed by Social Services.
So she handed Dele over to a couple who the footballer
now calls his adoptive
parents.
Now mum-of-four Denise says every time she watches
19-year-old Spurs ace Dele
scoring for his club and country, she knows she made
the right decision.
Fans have never before heard the truth about how Dele got
to where he is
today.
Fighting back tears, Denise told The Sun on Sunday: “I
had to let him go to
give him a better future.
“Emotionally, it was heartbreaking but it was the right
thing to do.
“I had a serious drink problem triggered by my unhappy
childhood.
“I was hooked on vodka, beer — anything — for a few
years.
“Social Services visited me after complaints from my
neighbours about how I
was raising my children but my kids were never taken
away.
“It was my decision to let Dele live with another family.
“I knew that was the only way he could fulfil his dream of
becoming a
professional footballer.
“It was tough to give up my son but it proved to be his
salvation. I’m so
thankful for how things have turned out.”
Denise will be glued to the TV when Tottenham take on
Leicester City at White
Hart Lane in the third round of the FA Cup today.
He signed for Spurs for £5million last February and got
his first start for
England in November when the Three Lions took on
France.
Dele was an immediate hit during the poignant game
following the Paris terror
attacks and scored from outside the box to break the
deadlock at Wembley.
England won 2-0.
His mum said: “When he scored the goal against France
I leapt out of my seat —
I was so happy.
“My son has made it by himself. I am so pleased for
him and super-proud of
everything he has achieved.”
Commentators have been stunned by Dele’s rapid rise
through the ranks and
impressed by his composure on and off the pitch.

Few expected Dele to make the first team when he
started pre- season training
with Spurs.
But he wowed fans when he nut-megged Real Madrid
star Luka Modric during a
game in August and scored the equaliser against
Leicester City two weeks
into the season.
It helped him become a first-team regular and Spurs are
set to double Dele’s
wages to £20,000 a week.
That could rise to £50,000 or more by next season to
ward off interest from
Real Madrid and others.
Read More:
Cristiano
Ronaldo spent Christmas in Miami to ‘expand his
family’ after leaving son
with his gran
Parents
lived with decomposing body of dead 7-year-old son for
a month’
Tottenham
set to land non-league wonderkid Shilow Tracey
That makes the £5million Tottenham paid MK Dons —
Dele’s boyhood club — the
bargain of last season.
He came through the ranks at MK Dons after joining
aged 11 and before that
played for local team City Colts.
Dele, who also showed promise as a talented rugby
player, was born Bamidele
Jermaine Alli to Denise and Nigerian dad Kenny.


They married at Bletchley Register Office in Bucks just
before his birth in
April 1996 but parted a week later. Businessman Kenny,
46, moved to Texas
where he now lives with new wife Lola.
Denise also raised son Lewis, 12, daughters Becky, 23,
and Barbara, 26, who
all stayed with her.
She said: “Times were difficult — very tough. I had four
children by four
different dads but none of the relationships lasted. I
was a single mum. We
were living in Milton Keynes in a three-bedroom council
house but it was a
bit rough.
“Me and Dele were always very close when he was
younger. He was my little
cling-on. He’d always say, ‘Kiss me’. He loved football
and started kicking
a ball around as soon as he could walk.
“I could see he had talent and I would take him to the
park as much as I
could.
“He always wanted to be a footballer since he was a
little boy and dreamed of
playing for Barcelona.”
At the age of five, Dele spent six months living with his dad
in Nigeria
but the move did not work out and he returned to England.
As he grew up, his mum’s problems started to multiply
and at same time he
began to get into trouble at school she was reported to
Social Services.
Denise said: “It was only one visit and Social Services
were just doing their
job. A handful of girls who had it in for me called the
council — I don’t
know why. I always looked after my children.”
Yet by the time Dele was 13, Denise began to worry he was
about to fall in
with gangs that were plaguing the Bradwell area of Milton
Keynes where they
lived.
She agreed he could move six miles away to live with
close pal and fellow
footballer Harry Hickford, now 20, and his parents,
building company boss
Alan and his wife Sally.
While Denise insists he was never formally adopted, she
let her son live
full-time with the Hickfords and their two children in the
more affluent
area of Cosgrove.
Denise said: “All the kids Dele’s age were on the streets
smoking, arguing and
robbing. Some ended up in prison. I was worried my
son would be tempted by
that hood life.
“He was challenging at times, like most lads. He had to
change secondary
school and never settled at his first school.
“The Hickfords weren’t my friends but they had a nice
home and I knew I had to
give my son this chance to move on with his life and
succeed.
“When he left, there were no tears, just a sense of relief
because I knew he
would be off the streets and safe.
“Dele told me, ‘I’m fine Mum. Don’t worry about me.’ He
hugged me.
“It was tough but he was happy and I was happy.
“Despite giving him away I have never been estranged
from Dele.
“He would come back to my place for a sleepover about
once every month. He is
also close to his biological dad.. Kenny is so proud of
him.”
Denise is no longer in contact with her son’s adoptive mum
Sally and has
yet to see him play in person.
The midfielder’s adoptive dad Alan runs Dele Alli
Promotions, so stands to
make a fortune
Denise admitted: “Perhaps deep down I felt some
resentment towards Sally for
bringing up my son.
“I’m still close to Dele. He’s helped me and his sisters
financially and has
lots of love to give. He’s a great son.
“He’s probably given us £4,000 over the past year or so.
“I got £600 this Christmas and the three children £500
each. Last year he gave
me £200, the girls £80 each and his brother a TV and
Xbox.
“He gave me £170 for Mother’s Day and helps me out
with £50 here and there
towards bills. I’d never ask him for a penny. He just
offers to sort us out.
“He never discusses his salary but I heard it was
£25,000 a week. Good on him.”
Speaking from his Houston home, Kenny said: “We have
always had a good
relationship and I’m his dad.
“I saw Dele during my trip to England last year and we
often text and chat on
the phone. I’m very proud of my son.”
Sally Hickford said last night: “We are so proud of Dele
and want to let him
enjoy his football.
“Dele lived with our family but, no, we never formally
adopted him. We want to
keep everything private.”
Hotshot to hero
2007
Joins the youth system at MK Dons aged 11
November 2012
Makes debut for MK Dons’ first team aged 16
February 2015
Signs for Spurs for £5m aged 19, loaned back to MK
Dons for rest of season
April 2015
Named Football League’s Young Player of the Year
November 2015
Scores on full England debut

0 comments: